Brockley Primary School Governance
Annual Governance Statement for the Governing Body of Brockley Primary School to July 2021
The name of the school is Brockley Primary School
The school is a Community School
- The name of the governing body is “The governing body of Brockley Primary School.”
- The governing body shall consist of:
- 2 – Parent governors
- 1 – LA governor
- 1 – Staff governor
- 1 – Headteacher
- 4 – Co-opted governors
- Total number of Board Members – 9
- The term of office of all categories is 4 years.
- Clerk to Governors in post
The Governing Body of Brockley School
In accordance with the Government’s requirement for all governing bodies, the three core strategic functions of Brockley Primary School Governing body are:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction.
- Holding the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils.
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
The Governing Body has a programme of meetings throughout the year and a structure that focuses on specific areas of governance
1 Co-opted Governor resigned in March 2021
1 Co-opted Governor resigned in July 2021
1 Staff Governor resigned in July 2021
As at July 2021 the Board has 4 members.
A Staff Governor has been elected unopposed and commences her term of office in September 2021.
The impact of the Covid pandemic has restricted the Boards ability to recruit and retain Governors. However, a process to recruit Parent and Co-opted Governors is well underway and it is hoped that this will bring the Board up to full complement within the next months.
Attendance record of Governors
All meetings were well attended and any apologies accepted.
Meetings were quorate which ensured that decisions could be made.
The Work we have done on our Committees and the Governing Body meetings.
The National Governors Association (NGA) issued guidelines in September 2020.
The guidance advised that it was appropriate for all non- urgent business to be delayed and Governing Board meetings to be restricted to the following:
- Business critical decisions.
- Monitoring who the school is continuing to provide care for children including those who are vulnerable, children with ECHP plans, the children of key workers, associated risks, issues etc.
- Any issues arising from how the building is being used and remote working for staff.
- Support being given to parents and carers to help them educate their children at home
- Monitoring the welfare and well-being of children, staff and stakeholders
The Board approved a Business Continuity Plan based on this advice in September 2020
Despite the challenges the Board exceeded these expectations and continued to undertake their roles and responsibilities as far as reasonably possible while complying with the School’s Risk Assessment . Matters such as finance were dealt with by the full Board with others delegated to panels or individual Governors. Monitoring was undertaken remotely working with subject leaders and school staff.
Pupil Attainment and Progress
- Modern Foreign Languages
- Religious Education
- Design Technology
- Attitudes, attendance, behaviour and ‘My Concern’
- Anti bullying
- Staff health and wellbeing
- Budget updates presented at each Full Governing Body meetings for review and challenge.
25 Policies were approved by the full Governing Board as follows:
- Offsite Working
- Data Protection Framework
- Social Media
- Bringing your Own Devices
- E-Safety & Acceptable Use
- Image use
- Parent Code of Conduct
- Redundancy & Restructuring
- Code of Conduct for Staff
- Confidential Reporting
- Separated Parents
- First Aid
- Teachers Pay
- Charges & Remissions
- Financial Regulations
- Debit Card
- Authorised Leave of Absence
- Equality & Diversity
- Governor Allowances
- Career Guidance
- Children with Health Needs That Cannot Attend School
- Designated Teacher for Looked After Children
- Protection of Biometric Information
- Special Category Data
- Supporting Disabled Employees
The Governing Board as at 05.10.2021
Caroline Rodgers – Headteacher/Ex-Officio
Linda Mosley – Chair of Governors/Co-opted 05/10/2025
Elton Sperring – Vice Chair of Governors/Parent 22/11/2025
Sarah Wall – Staff Governor 05/10/2025
Lisa Childerley – Co-opted Governor 05/10/2025
Karen Lumb – Co-opted Governor 05/10/2025
Rebecca Hendy – Co-opted Governor 05/10/2025
Kay Sharman-Davies – LA Governor 25/03/2023
Vacancy – Parent Governor
Isobel Sperring – Clerk to Governors